5 Tips to Help You Eat Healthy During the Holidays
The holiday season can be a real test to eating healthy for all of us. You do not have to completely sabotage your healthy routine. Yes, you may be tempted and you should be able to enjoy yourself without feeling all the guilt. Still take the time to nourish your body with the following tips to help you navigate through all the holiday temptation.
- Keep Hydrated! Did you know that keeping yourself hydrated will help with any cravings and can also assist with any over eating? Drinking plenty of water and keeping yourself hydrated will help you re-assess your craving.
- Bring something to the party. There’s nothing like bringing a covered dish or your favorite desert to the holiday party. This allows you to make something on the healthy side or for you to create those dishes that are a fit for any stomach or intolerances you may have. Think of some healthy holiday trail mixes or low-calorie side dishes. Try making some healthy versions of your favorite holiday treats. There are lots of wonderful recipes online that can help.
- Eat the good stuff during the day and before you go to the party. Eating well during the day and then eating prior to going to your holiday function will help you make better choices when you arrive. Look to fill up your plate at the party with the healthy choices first.
- Watch your drinks. Alcohol does a few things, it can be loaded with calories but it also can assist you in making bad choices when eating. Pace yourself and make drink choices that aren’t loaded with sugar and mixers.
- It’s a mindset. If you have a routine the holidays shouldn’t give you a pass to veer off course. Stick to the routines you're used to and know that you may stumble but you have to get back into the groove of that routine. Don’t make the holidays your excuse for bad decisions.
Enjoy the holidays with your family and friends. Savor all the wonderful foods that you will have and don’t feel too guilty about it. This holiday eat well and be merry!